Thursday 14 January 2016

Research: Venetian Masks

Because I wasn't allowed to take photos while in the mask shops in Venice I tried finding some examples online. I unfortunately couldn't find most of the demon type masks I had seen while there but I have been able to find some puppets which resemble demons. The masks from Venice have become a popular culture part of Italy and lots of people visit Venice during the carnival where the masks are traditionally worn. This carnival has been a long standing tradition and many people around the world participate in it. The masks with the long beaks were originally only worn by doctors during the plague to help them avoid getting infected; but have become incorporated into the Venice festival due to their unique design, as well as being featured heavily in the popular game 'Assassins Creed'.















Image result for venetian masksImage result for venetian masks

No comments:

Post a Comment