Thursday 14 January 2016

Research: Euro Trip

Over the summer holidays I went travelling around Europe, this post is a collection of primary research I gathered that I thought would be useful or inspiring for my project.

Amsterdam
Body Works Museum

While visiting the Body Works museum I saw real human bodies and organs preserved by using a plastination technique. Exploring the Body Works exhibition made me consider the shape and posture of my characters, as well as how they will move and act which will really help when making my stop motion animation. This exhibition was exploring happiness and the short term and long term effects it has on our bodies.

















Paris - Paris was where my project became a lot clearer to me because I got so much influence from the places we visited there. While in Paris I visited the Notre Dame cathedral, the Catacombs of Paris, Disney Land and the Louvre gallery.

Notre Dame cathedral

Notre Dame's Gargoyles were amazing to see as each one is unique and beautifully crafted, observing these creatures made me think about how my demons will look. Gargoyles are water drains to avoid water damage on the church but they have been carved into many different creatures such as varying chimeras and other creatures. The gargoyles are in poses usually with their mouths open and snarling (where the water will drain out) but some are eating prey or other food. The gargoyles of Notre Dame are very famous, most notably from Disney's 'Hunchback of Notre Dame' where the gargoyles have a prominent role.





    (Me being the Hunchback of Notre Dame)















Catacombs
I know the catacombs don't tie to my work much but it was still a huge influence as this is where I decided my story would have a dark ending. I decided this after seeing the human bones and skulls arranged in beautiful patterns which showed me something can be dark and twisted but still be beautiful and creative.




















The Louvre
At the louvre we experienced a great deal of different artworks and sculptures (including the Mona Lisa) but I feel I gained more influence from the decorative roofs and amazing architecture which made the whole gallery feel like a piece of art.











Disney Land
I was surprised at the amount of influences I gained while at Disney Land, I was expecting to be on rides all day but when we got there we discovered a building that demonstrated the changes in animation over the years, where I learnt a lot. We then went to a talk on how the characters are developed at Disney and was amazed by the amount a character changes and develops before the animating starts. For example they told us that in the film 'Mulan' there were originally going to be two dragons that were way bigger than how the final design worked out.
While in the art of Disney animation area they had a section where you can create you own Zoetrope Animations, above is a very quick one I created showing a stick man demon.


You can see in the images below how much the beast from 'Beauty and the Beast' has changed through development. He was originally going to be a gorilla/baboon animal but this soon changed to be creature which combined lots of animals, including gorilla, lion and wolf.


Seeing how much work goes into developing each character at a studio has made me realise I will need to keep working on my character until they are how I want them, even if that means I have less time to create the puppets and set. Ursula from 'The Little Mermaid' was originally going to be a lion fish character before they settled on the octopus theme.






The characters below instantly made me think of Sloth and Pride and will help me greatly when Developing the demons for these sins. The Cheshire cat and cats in general are quite lazy and sleep a lot so this helped me develop my ideas.





Barcelona
Human statues of monsters/demons
We spent most of the time in Barcelona sunbathing but one thing I did find quite influential was the amount of human statues that were all dressed as monstrous characters.







Switzerland
Matterhorn Ice Palace
While snowboarding the around Matterhorn in Switzerland we spent an afternoon in the Ice Palace, which is in the middle of the glacier and was filled with different ice sculptures. I really like the horns on these sculptures of the mountain goats; which can be found roaming around Zermatt (the closest town to the Matterhorn) and think they will be useful when adding horns to my demons.




Venice 
Venetian Masks
Venice is full of shops that sell beautiful Venetian masks made from paper mache and ceramic which are then hand painted to make each one unique. While searching for the perfect mask for me I came across a great deal of Demonic themed masks like the red one below, but most of the shops wouldn't allow me to take pictures so I only managed to get one. The black and white mask is the one I bought.



Pompeii
Bodies
I visited Pompeii and we explored the ruins of the old town. They had a exhibition on showing some of the lava casks of the people who were caught in the eruptions. At this point I wasn't sure what my final idea would be, so I thought these could useful research for my idea, but I didn't use them in the end.








Lava Skull
While climbing Mount Vesuvius in Pompeii I found a little shop that sold sculptures made of lava, I bought this skull with the intention if it becoming a prop or even character for my animation but as my story developed I realised it wouldn't be needed.



Greece 
Greek Gods
I travelled to Athens and while there we explored many of the ruins around the city. My favourite was the Agora which was a big area filled with many ruins. We went into the 'Stoa of Attalos' which was a large building filled with statues and artifacts excavated from the Ancient Greek time period. At the time I was considering doing an animation on ancient Greek Gods so I took many pictures of the statues depicting them but my animation idea later changed.






No comments:

Post a Comment